These days international students are approaching to go to Canada through study permit & attain a good career to get settled timely. So, to stabilize the growth in the number of international students in Canada IRCC has recently announced the new eligibility criteria for them to get their PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit).
However, many people lack precise information about these updated criteria. To address this gap and offer comprehensive insights, we present this blog to provide readers with a better understanding of the new regulations.
Updations in PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit) Made By IRCC:
- As per the guidelines, this rule related to PGWP will be implemented on all international students from September 2024.
- After completing a study program covered by a curriculum license agreement, international students will no longer be qualified for a PGWP. This will happen if the students have registered themselves at a private university with authorization to provide courses linked to a public university’s curriculum.
- Other than this, if public colleges have established arrangements with private colleges then they will not be eligible to get their PGWP because the programs have less oversight.
This all-new updation is getting implemented in Canada because the private colleges are letting that strength in their college which they can’t even afford to hold. And the students are getting work permits even after that.
Because of this, sometimes colleges even have to revoke the LOAs (Letter of Acceptance) of the students to deal in a better way with this problem.
NOTE: This rule is implemented for PGWP because, in October 2023, almost 500 students even after their admission to the College faced the problem of revoking admission applications.
Other Rules Implemented By IRCC for PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit):
Prolonged Work Permit Validity for Graduate Degrees That Are Shorter
As per this rule in the work permits, international students who have completed their master’s or graduation programs in a shorter duration will soon apply for the 3-year work permit.
This rule is changed as per the current rule the PGWP is based on the length of an individual’s study program. With this modification, master’s students will be allowed to apply for an extended work permit, giving them more time to obtain beneficial job experience in Canada. They frequently find it simpler to become long-term residents as a result.
Now, let’s see how PGWP will work:
How does PGWP operate?
This is a program offered by the Canadian government through Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). It allows international students to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable work experience in Canada.
As per the latest updates, the permit would have 3 years of validity irrespective of the length of the study program. To be eligible for the PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit) international students should have:
- Completed their studies in an academic, vocational, or professional training program that has the availability of at least 8 months from designated learning institutions (DLI).
- Students studying the program should have valid certificates, degrees, or diplomas.
- Students should maintain full-time status in Canada during each academic term of the study program & many more.
With this, students should have done their graduation from the best as well as renowned public colleges or universities.
These are the latest advancements that will be implemented by the IRCC. But, if you still get confused anywhere & want more clarity about the PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit) then you can get in touch with Skytrack Immigration right away. As, we have the best immigration consultants in Calgary available to help you in all possible ways.